Wednesday, July 31, 2013

This Week's Featured Author: Loretta Porter



Loretta Porter
 Loretta's love for writing began in junior high when she was asked to write a story about anything she felt like. It was a very short murder mystery, but the love of writing was born. It wasn't until college, however, that she realized she has a bit of talent for it. She wrote her first novel two years ago and Just My Luck this past January. Loretta stumbled upon the world of indie publishing through Elsha and Lindsey and has been so grateful for their help and advice. Loretta plans on releasing another novel, Emma's Choice, at the end of August 2013.


 Who or what inspired you to become a writer?

I've always had an overactive imagination, but didn't realize until I was a teenager that not everyone has stories constantly flowing through their minds.  When my parents divorced in 2006, they were deep cleaning the storage area and found a short (we're talking two or three pages) story I'd done in junior high.  As juvenile as the writing was, I thought the concept was still intriguing and began to finish it.  The problem was that I had started it thinking it would be a crime novel, yet the more I wrote, it kept turning into a romance!  I eventually gave up, thinking I couldn't write at all because I couldn't keep my crime novel from turning into a sappy romance.  I eventually learned to embrace the sappy side of myself and things just clicked.  Nicholas Sparks has definitely been an inspiration.


When did you begin writing your first book?

The first book I wrote that I finished was in 2011 and titled Emma's Choice.  It took me about 2 1/2 months of writing at my kids' nap times and late at night.


Are you working on anything right now? Can you share?

I'm planning on releasing my first novel, Emma's Choice, sometime in late August 2013. You can check my website for updates: lorettaporterbooks.blogspot.com.  I update it a few times a week, so it's the best place for information about my upcoming novels.  It's still going through some final editing, but here's an excerpt:


My brother pulled out his cell and pushed a number on speed dial.  As he waited for an answer, he walked over to the sound system and pushed mute.  “Hey babe, how was your day?”  He listened for a bit and responded with, “That’s lame!  How often do they need you to work late this week?”  He paused again to listen, then said, “Well, fine then.  Good thing I’ve got my hands full babysitting, eh?” He winked at me as I scowled at him, “Em and I were wondering if you could bring us some food?” 

“Liar!” I shouted towards the phone. “HE is the perpetually hungry one!  I’m fine!  Don’t worry about me!”
He turned away from me and said, “Yeah, I know, she’s delirious from hunger.”

What is your all time favorite book/author?

Why do I have to choose just one?!  Okay, fine, if I had to choose one book it would be The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks.  The ending wasn't what I'd expected, but there was a poetic beauty to it that made me realize it couldn't have been more perfect.  Go read it and you'll understand.


If you could travel back in time to any place or event, when, where and what would you choose?

I would go to Hollywood in the 1930s and just watch all of the amazing movies being made.  It was a time of class and talent, both with the actors as well as the content of the shows.  Plus, the clothing was fabulous!  I'd also make sure to stop by the I Love Lucy set and be in the audience for a taping.  And then steal one of Lucy's polka dot dresses.


Any advice for new writers?

I still feel like a new writer myself, but one thing I've learned is to not let the rejections from literary agents get you down.  I know that's easier said than done, but it's going to help you a lot in the long run if you can just see each one as a stepping stone.  Also, realize that the market is changing and literary agents are slowly being pushed from the picture.  Publishers can just go to Amazon's best seller list of indie publishers and take the middle man out of the mix entirely.  And always, keep writing and exploring the world around you; ideas for books are everywhere.

                                                                                      
 Loretta's Book: Just My Luck


When Gabby went heli-diving for the first time, she never imagined the real adventure she embarked on: a luxury summer vacation with the handsome Adam Tucker and his family, but how would they react knowing about her hideous and terrifying past?

Gabby uses extreme sports to hide from the pain of her haunting past, but her trip to the Bahamas after high school graduation turns out to be more than she bargained for...staying with the Tucker family who offers her compassion and acceptance at every turn. Adam seems to be falling for Gabby, but will he still care for her after he knows the darkest secret from her past? From her mother's past? Gabby’s path towards learning to trust and love is filled with obstacles, and before she can move on and heal, she must face the demons that fill her nightmares.  

No comments:

Post a Comment